About This Site

Maintained by a self-described bibliophile, The Classical Text Archive aims to offer as wide a variety of written works as possible on an easy to navigate site with few distractions.

The idea for this site has a short history. I got it into my head a while back to try to read as much of the established "classical" corpus of writing as I could. Included with that ambition was writing from subjects such as literature, drama, philosophy, you name it. I aimed to include writing from as many times and places as possible. I even stopped watching television. I'm now in graduate school and still going strong on the reading.

Obviously it didn't make sense for me to buy all the books (er...because there are like thousands), especially considering that so many of them are available without copyright restrictions. I do make heavy use of libraries, but I also try to find many things online. What I found early on was that while many sites had some of the classics, they were often incomplete--even within their category--or they were difficult to navigate, or cluttered, or suffered from any number of other detractors that made them less useful than they could have otherwise been.

So here you see my solution. :)

If all goes well, this site will be easy to use, more or less comprehensive (and I'll be adding things all the time), and simple.

(Progress as of March, 2010: I've been adding several works every week now and am still going strong.I may even be getting some help soon. Please check back often for new material!)

Cheers, and happy reading!